Friday, June 20, 2008

My idea of a great time


Okay, so everybody has their own idea of a great time. I find mine to be much "tamer" than many folks. In fact, I'm sure many will find my "good time" activities completely boring. But that's alright. I know what makes me happy. And I know what keeps me sane.

Last night I come home feeling pretty yucky as it the first day of TTOM. It was also a fairly stressful day at work full of people problems and lots of negotiating. I'm kind of tired, achey, and very much in need of chocolate and comfort. So I treat myself.

It's a very nice, cool night so I open up all of the windows. I set up the kitchen CD player with my current audio book, The Thirteen Tale. I put my kitty in her bed up on a stool in the kitchen so she can watch me. And then I start making chocolate chip cookies. I'm a stress baker, and making chocolate chip cookies is completely therapeutic to me. I enjoy my book, smell the wonderful scent of the outdoors with the freshly cut grass as well as the freshly baked cookies, and every few minutes scratch my feline friend's adorable head. And of course I'm eating lots of cookie dough batter as well as a couple of baked cookies.

Nothing is better for my mental well-being and relieving stress than a night like this. I felt so much better and was ready for a blissful night's sleep afterwards.

Take your shrinks and group therapy. Take your Prozac and Paxil and whatever else the pharmaceutical companies are pushing now (I can't keep up with all of the crap out there.). Take your nights on the town, bar-hopping, night clubs, cigarettes, and booze. I'm perfectly content in my kitchen, and there's not much in life that can't be fixed with the addition of chocolate chip cookies, a feline, and books!

1 comment:

SassyFitnessBug said...

That sounds like a wonderful way to unwind! I will have to try it! I've never baked and listened to an audio book at the same time but it really sounds like fun.