Sunday, May 4, 2008

If You Could Live Anywhere, Where Would It Be?


Recently, I had that question posed to me. My first reaction would be "in the country." DH and I are both country bumpkins. Not rednecks. But we both grew up in the same rural area. DH lived on a dairy farm that consisted of about 300 acres. My parents' home had a yard and woods area that was approximately 60 acres. DH and I wanted to get married and have a home that was completely private. But because we also wanted to get good jobs, this was going to be difficult in the area where we grew up.

Once we got married, we moved in to a small apartment in a large complex in a huge suburb of Cleveland (150 miles from "home"). Although the apartment was clean, safe, and really pretty darn nice for two 23-year-olds, it wasn't long before I had a problem with it: I needed my own green space. I needed to be able to sit outside. It didn't matter that everything was convenient (we could walk to the grocery store, many restaurants, the library, etc.). I needed grass and trees. DH did too, but he said he was fine renting for a few more years. Tough. I was ready to buy.

So we were 24 years old when we bought our first home. It was a brand new 3-bedroom, 2 full bath raised ranch. We both loved it. It was in a very safe neighborhood, and there were two large parks within walking distance. We had it paid off in exactly 5 years, and we stayed 11. Then I got the urge to build a home in a nicer neighborhood. I knew we had the financial means, and I just wanted something nicer. Something a little bigger, too. The current house was about 1400 sq. feet, not including the 1/2 finished basement. There was nothing wrong with that home, but I knew it wasn't a permanent thing to me. DH, who hates change, wasn't all that into it, but he did acquiesce.

We both would have loved to move further out away from the city. We would have loved to have a few acres. However, even back in 2004, DH was concerned about gas prices and said we'd have to find something close to our jobs. We found a great neighborhood, and are very happy with where we are. We live in a very small development with around 20 houses. We know most of the neighbors (where we only knew three from our old neighborhood!). Most of them are extremely nice (and even the neighbor next door that I didn't care for really does have her good points). Typically, it's EXTREMELY quiet, and there's not traffic here like there was in our old neighborhood. You can sit out on our porch now for hours and not see a single car since we are towards the end of the cul de sac. Almost like living in the country.

Still, I would love to push our neighbors' homes over a few more feet. It's just a weird space thing to me. They are already about 15 - 20 feet away from us (I can't "eyeball" measure), but to somebody who grew up not being able to see neighbor's homes, they just seem too close.

But sitting on the deck most of the day, I marveled at how quiet and private it seemed. Heck, you could have sex on our deck and nobody would notice. Not that we would. The location is also awesome. We can walk through the woods on the new bike trail and end up at some decent restaurants (and Dairy Queen!). We have a nice, very green back yard.

Sometimes, I still fantasize about lifting our home and placing it in the country. But on days like today when I realize how quiet (and yet convenient) our location is, I have to ask myself "why?" Does DH really need more grass to cut? The only thing we are missing it 100% privacy....and I don't know very many people who have that, even if they are in the country.
As far as geographic areas, I'm fine with NE Ohio. Cleveland gets a bad rap, and I always have to laugh at this. Yes, there are some bad areas. Every city has them. But for the most part, Cleveland definitely rocks. For people who love nature, you couldn't get a better city. There are tons of bike trails and nature trails around the city. We live five minutes from a National Forest that is just gorgeous. I have no desire to leave this climate. Yes, the winters an be long, but the summers are all the more sweeter for it. And fall is just awesome. I have a sister that lives in San Diego, and I know some people would really envy that. Not me. I love the ocean, but I'm not going to live in a tiny apartment (with no prospects of ever owning a home) just so I can be several blocks from it.
The only other areas I might consider is New England or (northern) Virginia. Still, it's nice to only be 150 miles from where I grew up. It's an easy weekend trip that way....but not so close that the in-laws can just pop in!

1 comment:

SassyFitnessBug said...

Isn't it funny that no matter where you live, you will always dream of another place? I often wonder if there IS such a thing as a perfect place? Because when you choose one thing (for example open space) you usually have to give up something else (for example convenience). I have a similar dilemma in that I feel pulled toward the city, suburbs and country at the same time. There are things I like about each, but ultimately I think the suburbs is the best compromise for us - we have grass and trees and quiet, yet we are a stone's throw from culture, shopping and anything else.