Monday, February 11, 2008

First Study Group

So I had my first study group tonight for my PHR/SPHR exam (still don't know which I'm going to take). I've got to say, I was really impressed. The organizer was actually organized, and the participants actually seemed intelligent! I know that should be an expectation, but after finishing my bachelors degree a couple of years ago, I realized that pretty much anybody can get a degree. The biggest battle is showing up. We had so many people in my cohort who seemed (to me) barely literate, yet they got the same degree I did. I was astounded. They just showed up week after week and the professors passed them. Granted, they didn't pass with a great GPA, but it makes me sick to think about all of the work I did (and the little they did)....and yet they are now "degreed" just as I am.

I was afraid that this group might be similar, but they really seemed on the ball and serious about the process, I'm excited about working with all of them.

Now the big decision: Which exam to take. I'm still torn. I have until sometime in March to decide, though. I'm going to try to take some sample tests for both exams and see how I do.

1 comment:

SassyFitnessBug said...

Glad to hear you were impressed with the study group. I know what you mean about college. I used to have the same frustrations. I've noticed it's a lot better in graduate school because the students tend to be more mature and serious. I am sure your study group is comprised of people who are very serious too..serious about moving forward in their careers and that's why you're seeing impressive people there.